Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Chicago's Couturier, Thierry Roger


One of Thierry Roger's custom dresses
I just got the opportunity to interview Chicago's own couture designer, Thierry Roger. Couture fashion and Chicago are two that are not always directly linked; but Thierry is here to change that. He creates one-a-kind looks for his clients, therefore you will never be in a "who wore it better" contest!! Everyone make way for Chicago's couturier....

Me: Tell me a little about yourself? Why did you enter fashion design? 

Thierry: I was always interested in Fashion even as a child. My mother was a painter and she put me through Art School and later I got an apprentice position with the house of Guy Laroche where I learned a lot. 

Me: Wow, that is extremely prestigious. Why did you start your line in Chicago of all places? 

T: It was a question of chance and I was lucky but it took me a few years to learn about Chicago "style" (insert LOL). 

One of Thierry Roger's signature gowns
Me: What about your work differentiates you from other designers? 

T: I do not follow trends, for me trends do not last and do not make someone look "special." I love classic and timeless looks and I am good at it so I stick to it. 

Me: Why did you decide to go into couture design in oppose to mass-merchandise designing?

T:  I did sell ready to wear years ago for Henri Bendel and Barneys and also boutiques around Chicago; but I never really cared to see my garments on a rack in different sizes. I discovered later the Custom Made business and fell in love with the relationship that I have between the client and the garment.
More Thierry Roger's one-of-a-kind designs
Me:  Which pieces that you have created do  you feel are your best work and why? 

T: I love to design cocktail dresses and suits, those are 2 strong looks I really like to do.

Me: What about Chicago makes you want to stay and continue designing here in oppose to other states or countries?

Love this jacket from Thierry Roger
T:  After learning what fashion was about in Chicago I really felt a connection with the city and its style, 22 years later I am still here!!

Me: Any advice for students who want to design couture clothing? 

T: Find your niche and once you found it stick to it, there is a lot of competition out there and you need to stand out. Use every mistake you made as a learning experience.

Classic and timeless looks
 

Thank you Thierry and again I love your timeless, one-of-a-kind, beautiful creations. You are sincerely a gem of our great city!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I love when Thierry Roger said, "...Trends do not make someone look special." Well said. I think I'm going to use that. #IFB

    ReplyDelete